Re: Disks for 75x's

Excerpts from internet.computing.tp750: 15-Oct-94 Re: Disks for 75x's
Keith Moore@CS.UTK.EDU (771)

> > When I boot from my Linux install bootdisk, it reports :
> >
> >   "FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077"
> >
> > Means nothing to me, though.  It's just a shame that I > can't get the
> boot kernel to load the root disk -- I get a
> > floppy I/O error.

> That's either because the thinkpad has a different floppy drive type
> than Linux is used to, or because the thinkpad floppy's disk change line
> has the opposite assertion level than nearly every other PC on the
> planet.

> Both of these problems have been solved, but the bottom line is that the
> thinkpad requires a different version of Linux.

No, it just requires a different boot disk to get started.  The newer
versions of the kernel have fixed these problems, although you may need
add "-Ddoes_not_work_for_everybody_with_scsi_but_helps_ibm_vp" to your
CFLAGS in /usr/src/linux/drivers/block/Makefile before compiling the
kernel.

Cheers,