RE: battery & charging.

In message Thu, 7 Jul 1994 23:21:51 -0400 (EDT),
  jcumming@epas.utoronto.ca (James Cummings)  writes:

> I rarely just use the battery, and mostly have the tp750 4/340 I have
> plugged in as a desktop replacement.  I'm curious though, should I remove
> or turn off the battery during this time? Cause even when its done
> charging, my battery is *quite* hot.  In fact I thought I heard it making
> funny burping nooises the other night.  But I hadn't got much sleep ;-)

I've noticed burping noises too (actually, more like dull pops), always when
the battery is nearly fully charged.  It makes me nervous but I haven't
noticed any shortening of battery life.

Generally if I'm going to be running off AC for a long time I take the
battery out.  The exception is if I'm doing something important and don't
want everything wiped out by a power failure.  What I'd *really* like is an
option that keeps the computer running off AC, but doesn't recharge the
battery until it's empty.  That way the battery will act as a UPS without
having to go through charge cycles as often (right now it recharges when the
charge drops below 90%).
John H. Kim                  |"If you don't let me play, I'm taking my ball
jokim@jarthur.cs.hmc.edu     | and going home." - Philadelphia Phillies' John
jokim@chs.cusd.claremont.edu | Kruk's T-Shirt upon his return to the team
This message sent by NUPop   | after having a cancerous testicle removed