Re: Serial port & Modems (External)

> Try getting a replacement for comm.drv which is your \windows\system
> directory.  I think delrina's replacement is freely available at ftp
> sites and there are a couple of others around as well.  The original
> comm.drv with windows 3.1 is awful.  With the replacement comm.drv I got

	I tried that--but the Delrina Com driver is pretty much geared
to a 16550 UART, so it doesn't do much good...

> with qmodem pro for windows I'm now able to download in the background
> without any loss in speed at 14.4k and I can even work in a full screen
> Dos windows while downloading with throughput dropping to about a 9600
> level.  Of course, I have one of those antique TP700's with  a 16550AFN
> serial port  :)						 ^^^^^

	The only reason you can do it is because of your 16550 UART!

	Does anybody have a clue why IBM would put 16550 UARTs in their
early 700 series ThinkPads but not in the 750's?!!!!  This is ANGERING! :(

-----
Randy Whittle    whittle@chaph.usc.edu
University of Southern California School of Business (Fight on, 'SC Trojans!)
 - Motorcycle nut, HP 48GX & 100LX user, & lover of fine chocolate...
 "It's not denial, I'm just very selective about the reality I accept!" -Calvin
 "Consensus is the negation of leadership." - Margaret Thatcher