RE: at&t vs. Mhz

In message Fri, 17 Jun 1994 15:59:32 -0400 (EDT),
  <chan4@husc.harvard.edu>  writes:

> Which is better?  The AT&T or theMhz XJ 2114 PCMCIA modem?
>
> Anyone haveany experiences?

I've got both.  :)

I'd say go for the MegaHertz.  The XJack thing is just too convenient to
pass up.

I originally bought an AT&T Keep In Touch modem because the only Megahertz
modem available then didn't have a 16550 UART.  The KIT worked fine but the
LAM (line access module - plugs into the modem and phone jack) sticks out a
ways.  One day I dropped the computer a short distance and the LAM bent.
I managed to bend it back and everything worked fine.  Two weeks ago I
stepped on the phone line while I was moving the computer.  Rather than the
LAM pulling out of the modem, it bent again, in the opposite direction.
This time some of the metal connectors inside the LAM broke.

I called AT&T to order a replacement LAM.  They were backordered for at
least two months.  I couldn't live that long without a modem so I ordered
the new Megahertz (XJ2114).  It actually seems to work a little better,
although that might be because I'd already taken the time to get the
Easyplaying PCMCIA drivers working with the AT&T.  The biggest plus for the
Megahertz is the X-Jack, like I said.  It is VERY convenient, and is much
sturdier than I imagined.

About the only bad thing I have to say about it the Megahertz is the manual
doesn't include a complete AT command set.  I had to look up the important
stuff in the AT&T KIT manual.

Megahertz dropped their prices the day I ordered (lucky me) and I was able
to get the XJ2114 from Sparco for about $245.  On the other hand, if anybody
is interested in buying my AT&T modem in a few months (it's waiting for the
new cable to come in), I'll accept bids.
--
John H. Kim              | "Just try telling the IRS you don't feel like
jokim@jarthur.cs.hmc.edu | 'contributing' this year come April" - Bob Dole