Re: Is video on 360 and 755 interchangeable

In a previous message, you wrote:

>One of the members of our TP750 mailing list has an unusual problem.
>Perhaps you two can help with some definitive answers.  Please reply to
>the following addresses:
>
>antti.kilpinen@abo.fi    (The person that asked the question)
>ychou@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu   (The person in charge of the TP750 FAQ)
>jokim@jarthur.cs.hmc.edu (Me, out of curiousity)
>
>Thanks!
>I need a TP with math-co and a mono screen. Since Tp750-mono is discontinued
>IBM requires it's customers be more innovative. Actually I want both a
>755-mono and a 360Cs (two separate units). Can I (i.e. IBM service) switch
>the displays of a 360-mono and a 755Cs?. I think the wideo drivers are
>identical for both color and mono models- how about between 360 and 755
>series?. As aresult I would get a 360Cs and a 755-mono. Is anyone on the net
>familiar with the low level hardware  of the TPs?. First, I wan't to know if
>this is technically possible. Second, I must find someone to do the work so
>that warranty is not affected)
>
>My option is to buy a 360Cs and a 360-mono(instead of the 755-mono) and must
>suffice w/o math-co. Besides, IBM will loose the price difference of the
>combinations.
>
>Antti Kilpinen, Ph.D (Chem.Eng.)
>Research Fellow
>Institute for Advanced Management Systems Research
>Abo Akademi University, DataCity
>FIN-20520 Turku
>--
>John H. Kim              | "Just try telling the IRS you don't feel like
>jokim@jarthur.cs.hmc.edu | 'contributing' this year come April" - Bob Dole
>This mail sent by NUPop  | on Bill Clinton's avoidance of the word "taxes"

According to one of the ThinkPad developers, the 360 display is not
upgradable.  So that seems to rule out swapping displays between a 360
and a 755.  The 750 units haven't been withdrawn yet, so you perhaps
can still find a 750 mono.

I suspect the 700-series mono units were not big sellers.  I recall
seeing 720 mono units being closed out by USA Flex in Computer Shopper
magazine.  Buyers of the 700 series apparently tend to want color.
That's probably why there's no 755 mono.

The other option, of course, is to "settle" for the 755Cs.  It's
perhaps 300-400 dollars more expensive than the 750 mono.

...Michael Graff