Re: Monochrome 750 value

In message Mon, 16 May 1994 10:36:48 -0700 (PDT),
  "Victor C. Kress" <kress@oz.geology.washington.edu>  writes:

> Wild proposal #3: We select a competent hardware guru from among the
> group.  Those that are interested contribute a moderate sum of money for
> the purchase of an appropriate third party hard drive (I would think
> $20-$30 would do it if lots of people are interested).  The guru attempts
> to install the drive in a tp750, carefully documenting his/her progress.

Actually, I'm about halfway through this process so far.  I've gotten
verification from IBM that there's nothing weird about their HD controller -
if the drive responds properly to the IDE identify commands (heads, sectors,
cylinders, etc) it should work with the TP750.  I've called Toshiba about
some of the 2.5" drives they make and gotten some specs like dimensions and
power (to make sure it doesn't blow the TP750's fuse, which IBM says will
void the warranty - I thought fuses were there so you wouldn't damage the
hardware?).  If anybody has model numbers and phone numbers for other 2.5"
hard drives and manufacturers (and some place that sells them), I'll check
those too.

Right now I'm waiting for IBM to give me specs on their drives, as well as
the peak current a drive can draw before blowing the fuse.

> If the installation succeeds, the guru gets a free HD upgrade, and the
> entire group gets upgrade documentation.

Hey, do I get a free drive if I figure out it works on my own?  :)

Somebody else has on this list has a 250 MB Maxtor(?) in their TP750.

Toshiba hasn't tested their drives in the TP750 (although they've had
reports of their drives working in Thinkpads).  Also, I found out the 520
megger is a 19mm drive, while measuring the IBM hard drive case suggests it
will only take a 12mm drive.  :(
--
John H. Kim              | "Just try telling the IRS you don't feel like
jokim@jarthur.cs.hmc.edu | 'contributing' this year come April" - Bob Dole