Re: Monochrome 750 value

On Sun, 15 May 1994, Scott Stratmoen wrote:

> The cost of purchasing a larger drive from IBM makes an upgrade not
> attractive. Even the cost of an after market driver is half way to the
> cost of a 750Cs with a 340MB drive, with respect to what I already spent
> on the mono machine.
>
> Thus the primary need is to move up to a larger drive. A secondary issue
> is color.
> --
> Scott A. Stratmoen | strat@ast.dsd.northrop.com
>                    | (708) 259-9600 (ex 24762)

I decided on a monochrome machine for the following reasons:

1. Anecdotal evidence suggests that the monochrome battery life is
significantly greater than active matrix color.

2. Monochrome reliability is higher.

3. The money I saved getting the monochrome instead of color allowed me to
get a faster machine with more memory, trackpoint, and a modem card.

4. 90% of the time, I use an external VGA-SVGA anyway.

5. color doesn't really matter much for most of the applications I use.

I don't regret the monochrome at all.  What I do regret is that I didn't
first check out how outrageously priced the HD upgrades are.  Had I
considered this, several other machines I considered buying might have
rated higher in my ranking.

Wild proposal #3: We select a competent hardware guru from among the
group.  Those that are interested contribute a moderate sum of money for
the purchase of an appropriate third party hard drive (I would think
$20-$30 would do it if lots of people are interested).  The guru attempts
to install the drive in a tp750, carefully documenting his/her progress.
If the installation succeeds, the guru gets a free HD upgrade, and the
entire group gets upgrade documentation.  If not, one of the group
purchases the hardware at a discount from the rest of the group (or we
lose our investment), and we know to stop holding our breath and spring
for an external SCSI drive.  There are many obvious potential problems
(mostly related to trust) but some reader (probably a lawyer) might have a
way to make it work.

-Victor Kress