care and feeding of batteries

Okay, so I have a tp750 with two batteries.  Recently I went
on a trip only to find out that one of the batteries was
non-functional.  Upon my return, I eventually got it working
again, but only by power-cycling the battery and charging it
with the quick-charger -- the battery wouldn't charge at all
if I put it in the thinkpad.

Apparently the "bad" battery ran down to the point where
the thinkpad wouldn't talk to it anymore.  I gather that I
need to switch back and forth between the batteries to make
sure that neither one is neglected.

Is there some simple regimen I can use to make sure both batteries
will be in working order when I need them?

Keith