Re: GNU Extension Language Plans

Ozan S. Yigit writes:

> extension language bit has been done several times already. why is it a

> big deal when stallman wants to do it?

I have an answer, speaking as a former Scheme community member now in the
commercial software world.

The visibility of Scheme in the computing world at large is basically zero,
despite its great strengths and long history of polishing.  The FSF actually
does have a tiny bit of visibility, and if they promote Scheme as the extension
language for all GNU products it greatly ups Scheme's slim chances of actually
being used in mainstream computing.

I think that would be a Good Thing, and we should take the opportunity to
dialog with RMS and try to steer him toward the best implementation for his
purposes and advise him on the design.  He does show evidence of making good
decisions when presented with full data.

-Rick

---

Rick Mohr
Archetype, Inc		     Internet: rick@archetype.prospect.com
100 Fifth Avenue		voice: (617) 890-7544 x231
Waltham, MA  02154		  fax: (617) 890-3661