alternate track on the char-ready? issue

   Date: Wed, 15 Jun 88 18:08 EDT
   From: Kent M Pitman <KMP@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>

   I strongly believe that CHAR-READY? should not be part of any Scheme standard.

   It is an embarrassing timing error waiting to happen that does not do justice
   to the very careful design of most other parts of this language.

I agree.  However, I want to point out that we already had this
argument, when we originally drafted the standard, and it was decided
that `char-ready?' was preferable to what you call `read-char?' (Jinx
fought on the side you are advocating, as I recall).  I don't remember
why the decision was made as it was but I suggest that someone check
the archives so we don't fight exactly the same battle again.