R(3.5)RS Question

I've just been looking over the differences between R3 and R3.5 and noticed
that, among a bunch of other number changes, the syntax of the written
representation of rectangular complex numbers has been changed to have the ``i''
before the coefficient rather than after it.  I can't see any reason based upon
parsing to do this and it's certainly against common mathematical practice, so
why is it being done?

The only thing I could find in the archives on this point is a desire for
syntaxes like ``3+i'' and ``-i'' to work.  It's not clear to me that satisfying
this implies a need to move the ``i'' around.  Does it?

	Pavel