The future of the Scheme standard

   Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 10:23:12 -0400
   From: Richard Kelsey <kelsey@research.nj.nec.com>
   I will be attending the implementors workshop.  My hope is that it
   will be a forum for discussing implementation issues.  This doesn't
   exclude discussing language features, especially to the extent that
   they have impact on implementation techniques, but I don't see the
   workshop as a place where decisions will be made.

Thank you.  This is exactly the kind of reassurance I was looking for.  I
have no problems with a forum for implementors to discuss their craft among
themselves.  What worries me is the temptation for a room full of
implementors to make language decisions.  The more implementors who "don't
see the workshop as a place where decisions will be made" the better.  I
would welcome similar statements from any of the other workshop
participants.

In fact, I would like to call on all the participants to tell us what their
intentions are for this workshop.  Even if you think that it would be a
good thing if the Implementors -did- seize control of the language from the
losers like me, I'd still like to hear from you.

      I'm not actually sure why we're having the discussion about condition
      systems on this mailing list right now. [...]

   I think the latest round of condition-systems mail started with
   Will Clinger's listing a number of criteria for judging condition
   systems.  I then...

Right, I remember all that.  I was actually wondering if the reason we were
having the discussion now was perhaps because of the approaching workshop.