CFP: Scheme Implementors Workshop

   Date: Sat, 2 Mar 96 19:19:15 -0500
   From: Gerald Jay Sussman <gjs@martigny.ai.mit.edu>
   Why has this turned into a brawl?

I see no brawl.  Some of us have some concerns about an upcoming workshop,
and what it means about the future of the Scheme standard.  We're still
waiting for the first response from the workshop organizers.  Not much of a
brawl.

      As far as I can tell we should all be friends.  The stakes
       here are very low.  No one has much to lose by any action.
      On the other hand, the classic story is that the reason
       why academic politics is so nasty is that the stakes are
       so low.

I'd like to point out that this is -not- an academic matter.  I'm trying to
use Scheme as a real programming language, not write papers about it.

   Please kiss and make up -- I find the squabbling annoying.

I am very sorry to have annoyed you.  Please understand that I am not angry
with anybody.  I am concerned and worried about the future of the language.
I am not accusing the organizers of any evil intent -- I suspect that we
have simply raised an issue that they hadn't thought through.