GNU Extension Language Plans

|   From: "ozan s. yigit" <oz@nexus.yorku.ca>
|   Date: 	Tue, 25 Oct 1994 00:37:21 -0400
|
|   since when the () vs #f distinction became not-terribly-significant?
|   adapting this meant breaking countless programs, a lot of lost time.
|   were we fools to adapt it?
|
|   oz

I don't think it is terribly significant in the grand scheme of
things.

I think this is the last chance that Scheme has to avoid complete
obscurity and to influence the way people think about programs, which
is far more important than the petty details of syntax and semantics
that we are talking about.

Think of how much effort it would be to have to significantly rewrite
(instead of automatically macroexpand) all the elisp code out there.
I suspect that there is far more elisp code in widespread use than
portable Scheme code that could be affected by this change.

PS: Do you really need to ask whether _I_ think we were fools in
adopting this distinction?  I fought it tooth and nail because it
prevented sharing a library with a more traditional Lisp.