Macros in R4RS

   Date: Tue, 17 Dec 91 12:58:46 -0800
   From: William Clinger <will@cs.uoregon.edu>

   Morry Katz writes:

       Could some macrologist explain to tme the low level macro section in
       R4RS?  In particular, I do not understand the let-syntax examples on
       page 41 of the appendix....In several of the examples
       there is a term of the form (lambda (x) ...)....

   Could you be more specific?  I was unable to find any mention of LAMBDA
   on page 41 of my copy of R4RS.

My sincerest apologies!  That should have been page 44.  No wonder I
got deafening silence in response to my request.

   By the way, I don't fully understand the particular low-level macro
   facility described in R4RS either.  I hope the high-level system is
   understandable, though.  I tend to view the low-level facility as
   something of an existence proof, and hope that it will evolve into
   something simpler for R5RS.

My understanding was that R4RS was supposed to be standardizind on
both a high and low level macro package.  It now seems that we only
have a high level standard.  What happened in the macro committee?
Wasn't it the case that R4RS was supposed to wait for both a high and
low level package to eminate from the macro committee.  I now hear
through the rumor mill that there are several competing low level
proposals.  So much for agreeing on a single "standard".
Morry Katz
katz@cs.stanford.edu