multiple return values

I do the same thing, having a set of `PLUS' files which extend R^*S in
implementation dependent ways to provide features I want to use.  One
thing that I've found useful in transporting code between Common LISP
implementations (or Symbolics LISP releases!) has been a standard way
(the STATUS form) for determining what system or release I'm in.
Beyond this, though I find it somewhat distasteful, the presence of
the `#+' character macro for read-time conditionalizing code makes
writing transportable code a good deal easier.

Ken