IF and WHEN

The issue of IF vs. WHEN came up when this mailing-list was first
set up, at which time I responded in favor of WHEN.  I'd like to say
again why:  when I read other people's code and come across an IF,
I almost always search to see if there is a second arm.  The bad thing
about this is that if I don't see one I look harder, carefully matching
parens, to make sure I didn't miss it.  I don't buy the "indentation"
argument, because one shouldn't trust other people to follow stylistic
conventions.  Simply from a readability standpoint, WHEN is a good
idea, but at least we should require that IF have two arms.

"Feeping creaturism" is not always bad...

        -Paul