thanks, plus more info

greg,

thanks for your help to andreas.  these guys are
*really* starting to get some traction -- we will
soon have the capability to generate a rudimentary
model of the whole campus (base map + floorplans
+ heights), totally automatically from the 2D data.

andreas forwarded me some of your mail, and it
seems that there is lots of data which is available
at your end, or extractable at your end into
spreadsheets.  you asked if you should send them
along:

> 1a. At this time, there isn't a script or report on
> the space accounting web page that returns distinct
> floors for each or every building.  I ran a custom
> query/report against the db to retrieve this
> information. I'm attaching a spreadsheet...

i'm writing to say emphatically *yes*, in all cases,
with the following clarification and emphasis.

as we've discussed, our long-term goal is to make the
entire 3D model compile automatically, solely from
information found at your site (and of course a set
of rules that we apply to interpret the 2D data).
this way, the dataset will be truly "live" -- if
you update your web site, our 3D model will get
updated.

sending us individual data pieces is very useful in the
short term, as it gets my guys the data they need.  but
in the longer term -- and i acknowledge this requires
some design/thought at both ends -- we are aiming for a
way to make those queries happen entirely automatically,
from our server to yours, with no human in the loop.

so, for example if we could get remote access to the
query engine you used, we can invoke it from here, and
interpret the results (say, floor heights), without the
manual step (and without having to bug you).

is this technically possible?  (i imagine yes, but i
don't know what's in place at your end.)  can we have
a discussion about what else you maintain there, but
is not (currently) visible or accessible through the
web interface you provide?  can i send my guys over
to get a guided tour of what data you have in-house
that might be of great use at this end?  examples:
building angles, topomaps, etc.  we want to put/get
all of this on-line so we can integrate it.

best,

seth.