RE: DX4-74 --> 5x86-100 Conversion Question

Tisol said:

> NOPE ! What you are mainly paying for is liability (theirs) and
profit.
>       There is a "bit" of work involved in getting to the cpu and
unsoldering
it.

Yes, but the Cy586, the AMD586, and the 701's CPU all use different
caching strategies, and clock multiplication is triggered using
different signals. So, the BIOS also needs to be either changed or
fooled.  (This is why motherboards usually have different jumperings for
these chips.)  I believe the miniboards by Evergreen, Kingston, and the
like do some sort of hardware/software emulation for this.

Just swapping the chip would certainly not be enough.

> The chip itself, usually the AMD 486DX -133 is less than $45.
> peter..

This particular chip has recently undergone frightening price increases
(at least the cool-running ADZ version; the ADW version might still be
less than $50, but would not be appropriate for a laptop).

- David