Re: Hi.... probably a very old question and maybe a new one.

On Mon, 2 Dec 1996, Chris DiBona wrote:

> I have a TP701-cs with 16mb ram, 720 HD. And I was wondering a couple things:
>
> 1.....has anyone had any luck getting the 12mm drive enclosure from
> IBM or others? I notice to buy a raw drive is a great deal cheaper
> than purchasing an enclosed one.

Give up.  We've been trying since the TP750 first came out.  Nobody
has been able to get one for any model.  The closest we came was when
IBM was closing out their 170MB drives in caddy for ~$60.  IBM doesn't
even seem to have a part number for just the caddy.  I asked a couple
of the engineers who work in Thinkpad development and they couldn't
help.

There are a couple places that manufacture their own caddies for the
TP75x line, and at least one place that makes caddies for the 701.
Unfortunately, they won't sell you 701 caddy unless you buy their hard
drive upgrade (which is not as bad as IBM's prices, but is still way
out there).

What many of us have done is remove the drive from the original caddy
and replace it with a larger drive.  I know at least one person on
this list has done this with a 701 caddy, so you may be able to get
instructions from him.
--
John H. Kim
jokim@mit.edu