ThinkPad 701C forgetting my password?

Hi, is it possible that my ThinkPad can forget my own password? I set
my password the first week I had my ThinkPad and never changed it in
the following nine months. After I was not using it for over a week, I
can't get pass the resume password and power on password any more
(they are set as the same). I NEVER changed my password. So why?

I was running Linux 1.2.13 before I close the ThinkPad cover. The
ThinkPad was hooked to external power. Is it possible that some system
error can inadvertently modify the CMOS memory address where password
is stored?  Please let me know if you have had the same spontaneous
password invalidating experience. I am going to ask EASYSERV for
service and I need to convince them that I didn't forget my password;
this thing just refuses to accept my good old password anymore.

By the way, does anyone got IBM EASYSERV phone number handy?

Thanks in advance.

hh