pcmcia problems...

I have a TP755CD, and I just bought a Simple Technologies Communicator
PCMCIA modem.  (for use with linux).  I wanted to test it out in win3.1
just to be sure the thing works, since I haven't tried to set up the PCMCIA
services in linux yet.

I load all the PCMCIA drivers at startup, and enter win3.1.  I make sure
there is power to the PCMCIA port, disable the mwave modem and pop the card
in.  When I open the PC card director, it seems to know there is a card in
the slot, but there is a big red X over the icon.  It can't seem to
recognize the card at all.  When I tell it to register the card, it says
that it failed to retrieve the vendor string (or something like that).  Now
I think the card should automaticly be recognized since I'm using the 2.1
release of card services.

I turned the computer off and on and entered ezsetup and tested the PCMCIA
diagnostic and everything checks out ok.

Do you think the card is bad?

I've never used the PCMCIA slots on this machine so I can't TOTALLY rule
out the possibility of a hardware problem, but the same thing happens for
either slot.

Does anyone have any advice?

-Mike