Re: query for info x2: price for tp750c, bypass of rom passwd

Depends on which password. The following is according to my 755CE
manual, and is the same (I believe) as the 750C.

If it is the "Power On" password, then you are in pretty good shape.
You need to take the system, with proof of purchase, to IBM. They
will cancel the password for you, but might charge a service charge.

If it is the "Hard-Disk" password, then your hard drive is worthless.
You will have to buy a new one.

If it is the "Supervisor" password, then you are really out of luck.
Not only is your hard drive worthless, but so is your system board.
With proof of purchase and a pile of money, IBM will replace the
system board. (You are probably better off buying a new 365 at that
point.)

"How do I tell the difference?", I hear you ask. Well, with the
755CE, the "Power On" password has a prompt that looks like a padlock
with a wierd symbol to its left that (from the picture in the manual)
looks like three rectangles somewhat reminiscent of a 3.5" floppy.
The "Hard-Disk" password prompt looks similar, but instead of the
strange rectangles symbol, there is a symbol which looks like a
traditional flow-chart symbol for files on disk. Clear?

"But what about the Supervisor password?", I hear you cry. Well, from
my reading of my manual, it looks like you are really screwed. I
can't figure out how (if at all) you can tell the difference by
booting the system whether you are looking at a "Power On" password
or a "Supervisor" password.

My uninformed guess is that if the password is just the "Power On",
that it can be removed by disconnecting all of the batteries
(Actually, probably just the right one.) for a few minutes. In any
case, you might find it to be a reasonable deal, if the TFT screen is
in good shape. You might be able to find a non-locked 750C with a
broken screen. Since last I heard, replacement 750C screens cost more
than new 365 systems, a 750C with a dead screen isn't worth much more
than one locked with a forgotten password. Putting the two together
might be just the thing.

Of course, one of your big problems is likely to be getting a real
"proof of purchase" which proves that the system was not stolen
somewhere along the way. I mean, that's the whole point of those
passwords, right?

Good luck.
Ron.