Re: Upgrading a 701C IBM Thinkpad

In message "Re: Upgrading a 701C IBM Thinkpad",
'mosleys@ucs.orst.edu' writes:

>Wow, I am mixed up. Could everyone who has hard facts please post what
>price you were quoted for a 16MB so dimm 3.3v and same for 32MB?
>
>I called CDW and they told me $246.00 for the 16MB, who is offering 16MB
>for $169? Are you all quoting in $US? Do vendors quote a higher price if
>you tell them you have a TP?
>
>Does anyone know of a WWW page that will show the lowest current price
>quotes for a 16MB and 32MB so dimm for the TP701?
>
>Please un-mix me!
>
>--Steph

Steph:

   I recently purchased a 16MB 3.3V SO-DIMM for my TP 365ED for
$172CDN, which converts to around $129US.  The vendor was Simple
Technology Canada in Toronto.  Their phone number is (905) 238-3300,
and the product number is STM-TP365/16.

   The only drawback is that they do not deal with "end users"
directly, so I had to deal with my local Future Shop store.  However,
they were very prompt, and shipped the package overnight via FedEx
to the Future Shop store here in Ottawa.  The Future Shop did not mark
up the price either (quite surprising!).  The memory has worked without
a hitch, and Simple Technologies has a lifetime warranty and a
compatibility warranty on their memory products.

   It would probably be worth checking with Simple Technologies in
the US.  Their website is at www.simpletech.com.  I would expect
that their price is comparable to what I paid here in Canada.  You
will have to determine whether the 365ED SO-DIMM works in the 701C --
I believe the 365ED uses non-parity memory, not sure about the
701C.  If the memory is not compatible, they likely have a different
model for the 701C.

   Does anyone make a 32MB SO-DIMM?  I was under the impression
that 16MB was the largest size available.

Cheers,
Rob Dickson
dickson@nortel.ca