ThinkPad 760E/ED/EL/ELD Owners -- DIMM Adapter Problem

If you have a ThinkPad 760 series machine (machine type 9546 or 9547),

AND

you have used BOTH of the sockets of the DIMM Adapter (i.e., 48Mb or 80Mb
installed RAM),

AND

you have observed problems with your machine locking up for no apparent
reason,

BE ADVISED:

IBM has discovered a problem with the DIMM Adapter used in machine types
9546 (TP 760E/ED) and 9547 (TP 760EL/ELD).  I spoke with IBM Technical
Support and then their Engineering department.  IBM is working on
modifications to the DIMM adapter that will solve the problem.  NOTE:  this
is NOT a BIOS problem that can be corrected via a flash update.

As of this morning, IBM anticipated the replacement DIMM adapter could be
available by "early November".  I encourage you to contact Technical
Support at 1-800-772-2227 to determine if indeed the DIMM adapter problem
is what is causing your lock-up troubles.  If so, IBM will assign you a
case number so that you can get into the que for the new adapters when they
become available.

The only work-around for the problem in the interim is:

a) Remove one DIMM module so that only one of the two slots is used (this
is the approach recommended by IBM), or,

b) Boot up to Windows 95 (I cannot comment on any other OS) and then
restart the computer (don't cheat on this one with the shift key ... that
won't work ... choose restart and let the machine go through POST again).
I cannot assure you this will work or explain why, I am only saying it
works reliably for me.

Robert J. Karp
rkarp@itis.com
     -or-