Re: Use of a modem on a digital (?) line ...

Howdy:

   The IBM line tester is called the "IBM modem saver".  The product
number is 73G5395.  The unit has 3 LEDs, labeled as follows:

[Green]  "Normal"
[Yellow] "Polarity Reversed"
[Red]    "Over Current"

   It is packaged in a pen-like format, with an RJ11 plug at one end
mounted on a flexible rubber mounting, which allows you to bend the
unit to get a good look at the LEDs when you are testing.  It also has
a clip on the back, so you can clip it to your shirt pocket (very
stylish!).

   According to the label on the back, you interpret the readout as
follows:

"Normal: OK to connect modem
 Reversed Polarity: modem operation may be impaired
 Over Current: modem damage likely"

   The unit set me back about $50 CDN, and I picked it up at the IBM
Outlet store here in Ottawa last year.  Hard to say whether it is
worth the money.  I have used it a few times (hotels, etc.), but I now
have a Megahertz XJ2288 modem, which supposedly has protection against
digital line damage anyways.

   Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Rob Dickson