Re: ibm 560

On Oct 19, 12:18pm, James Gramling wrote:
> Subject: ibm 560
> I am considering the purchase of a 560, thw 133 Mhz model.  I wonder
if
> anyone has any comments or information regarding this machine?  In
> particular, i'm interested in whether people have experienced problems
with
> the keyboard (i remember something some time ago about certain keys
> sticking), or the trackpoint (the drift problem), and the overall
quality of
> the machine.  One group member said something about the 560 being made
of
> different plastic than other tp's, and seeming less sturdy.  Any
comments
> would be appreciated greatly.  Thanks,
>
> Jim Gramling
>
>-- End of excerpt from James Gramling

I've a 760ELD which has both the track point and keyboard problems you
mentioned but can't say that about the 560 since I haven't use it.

I'd look at the service and reliability ratings that PC Mags did for the
notebooks review a couple months ago. Toshiba and Compaq machines were
rated higher than IBM by users in the survey. IBM got an "average" which
could mean 50% of the machines will require service.

There's also a notebook torture test done by PC Weeks a few months ago
if you're interested.

John