Re: PCMCIA and Linux 2.0.18

----------
> From: David Fox <fox@graphics.cs.nyu.edu>
> To: thinkpad@cs.utk.edu
> Subject: Re: PCMCIA and Linux 2.0.18
> Date: Thursday, September 12, 1996 2:29 PM
>
> In article <m0v0XDM-0000WUC@omerie.ai.mit.edu> cph@martigny.ai.mit.edu
(Chris Hanson) writes:

> ]    From: "Alan Sukiennik" <Alan.Sukiennik@voicenet.com>
> ]    Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 20:43:41 +0000
> ]
> ]    Hi there,
> ]
> ]    I've just upgraded RedHat Linux 3.0.3/1.2.13 to 2.0.18 on my 755CD
> ]    and lost all PCMCIA support. The /lib/modules still contains /1.2.13

> ]    directory with /pcmcia in it and that's what is being referenced.
> ]    Would anyone know how to upgrade that?
> ]
> ] The PCMCIA support, like all modules, is kernel-dependent.  If you are
> ] running 2.0.18 you need to have modules that were compiled for 2.0.18;
> ] the 1.2.13 modules will not work.
> ]
> ] This is why the subdirectories under "/lib/modules/" have version
> ] numbers on them.
> ]
> ] So you will have to recompile PCMCIA and reinstall it.
>
> More specifically, you will need pcmcia-cs version 2.8.22, available
> from hyper.stanford.edu in pub/pcmcia.  Redhat does things a little
> differently from Dave Hinds, but if you install it and fiddle with the
> config files in /etc/pcmcia things should work.  You'll need your
> entire kernel source tree to build pcmcia-cs.
> --
> David Fox	   http://found.cs.nyu.edu/fox		xoF divaD
> NYU Media Research Lab   fox@cs.nyu.edu    baL hcraeseR aideM UYN

Yep, recompiling new pcmcia + `make lib` and `make lib_install` did it.
I did panic for a second because of the total loss of connectivity (modem
and eth0).
Even if for just getting the updated software into the PC. Fortunately, the
gzipped file fit on a floppy.

These days a stand-alone machine is almost worthless ;)

Regards and thanks,
-Alan