Re: more on TP vs T****

>This is interesting in light of our discussion on heat transfer here a
>while ago, since it suggests that at least for the Tecra, and at least on
>my desk (which has a formica top) acts as a better heat sink than air alone!

Air is an excellent insulator, when you disable convection.  Many things,
from storm windows to fibreglass insulation, achieve their insulating
benefit simply by trapping air while disabling its ability to move.  I
believe Thermos bottles are filled with air, as well as styrofoam...

Except for specifically non-heat-conducting materials (such as a cold-weather
sleeping bag) the heat will transfer much better to solid (or liquid!!).
Unless it is a very windy day...

The heat-producers (CPU, memory, etc.) in both machines are the same.  I
guess the Tecra evens its heat production across its bottom (a thin sheet of
copper would be my choice: excellent conductor of heat) whereas the TP
concentrates the heat in a small area...

Frank