Re: Newbie

On Sat, 10 Aug 1996 17:13:46 -0400 (EDT) R.J.H. wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Aug 1996, Jayan Patel wrote:
>
> snip .....>
> > with the computer, but came on CD-ROM), but I put on AmiPro 3.1
so
> > am happy enough for the present to wait for DVD to come (if it
does,

> What is DVD (context of usage would suggest a replacement for
CD-ROM)?

> Thanks!

While no one seems to know the exact words that DVD stand for
(Digital Versatile Disc, Digital Video Disc are two that have been
mentioned) the aim of DVD seems clear: it is the proposed successor
to CD audio discs and also CD-ROMs for computers and also video
laser discs. A digital "everything-container" as it were. The kick is
that it wouldn't be just Read-Only: it would also be a writable format.
Current specifications envisage fitting an entire 135-minute film on
one disc (with space for soundtracks in up to three languages) or if
used as a computer 'super-floppy', fitting up to 17 GB (yes GB) on
one disc. However, the computer industry, consumer electronics
industry, record industry and hollywood are having an almighty
joint headache trying to iron out common specifications and, above
all, protection against unlimited pirating of digital quality films,
software and music.

For more information, I refer you to the DVD FAQ

The great uncertainty is if and when all the companies involved can
iron out their difficulties. Apparently there is yet another different
technology in development by Fujitsu and Sony going down similar
lines, but limited just to acting as the successor to floppy/CD-ROM if
DVD doesn't make it, and which will be available (according to them)
by the middle to end of next year.

If anyone else has up-to-date information, I would be interested in
hearing it, too.

Jayan Patel