Thinkpad Active Matrix: long-term pixel death?

Last night and this morning, I got to watch a pixel in the middle of my 701's
screen die - well, partially die. It looks fated to turn into a bright red
pixel, now, and is located in an amazingly annoying place.
(The 701 is 10 months old.)

This brings up the question of: how reliable, long-term, are IBM's active-
matrix screens? Obviously, it will die in the end, but should I expect more
pixels to die in the near future (say, a year), or is this pixel death an
anomaly? Has anyone else out there experienced something like this?

Steve
saddened and annoyed by the bright red spot in the middle of the screen

--
Steve Rodrigues            | Lost, yesterday, somewhere between sunrise and
Expatriate Texan           | sunset, two golden hours, each set with sixty