Re: TP750 Battery

On Mon, 29 Jul 1996, Don Whiteside wrote:

> This is consistent with the problem I have had with my TP750 and
> batteries that are 2yrs old (1 yr use each). The 750 (dunno about the
> other models) would power cycle the batteries in the top 10% over and over
> again if you used it with the AC adaptor and the batt in by letting the
> battery wear down to the 90% mark and then charging it again.
> Unsuprisingly, it destroys the battery.
>
> I bought a quick charger/conditioner with the hope that it could deal
> with this problem, but they appear to be toast. Some people have reported
> success in getting IBM to replace them since it's a fault in the charging
> mechanism, not the batt.

I have not yet been able to get IBM to admit this is a problem.  I've
explained my experience (3 batteries killed this way) and the mailing
list's experience to tech support, and they've always denied the
charging cycles cause the problem.  Fortunately they replaced the
first two batteries w/o hassle.  The third time I tried was just last
month.  The rep pointed out the battery only had a 1 year warranty
(which was a surprise to me since the first two were replaced well
into the second year of warranty).  I read through the warranty info
and he was right.  I probably should've worked harder to convince him
the charge cycle killed the battery, but I had an extra and I didn't
feel like wasting time arguing the matter.

If you're leaving your battery in all the time while your 750 is on
AC, and you're past the first year of warranty, be careful!  Run the
battery down every week or so.  That seems to help.
--
John H. Kim       "I stop for red traffic lights" -- bumper sticker
jokim@mit.edu     commissioned by the City of Boston as part of a