Misc. 701 questions

Several questions about TP701c:

Memory: I know that IBM specifies 3.3v. I've been using a Mitsubishi 5v
chip for several months with no problem, but I've heard this can cause
long-term problems (overheating). Can anyone confirm this?

PCMCIA CD-ROM drives. Now that the Panasonic 2x PCMCIA SCSI drive is $200,
I can buy one. Has anyone used one of these on a 701? I mainly need it to
install programs (but it must to work with Linux). Is there a cheaper
alternative? I passed on those cheap Reno drives because of bad reviews,
and it's not that much  cheaper if you add a SCSI card.

Also, I've been thinking of buying NextStep 4.0, since academic bundle is
only $300. I checked out www.next.com, but their compatibility page seems
outdated. Is 701's video card supported by NextStep?

Thanks.

nil@akula.com - stan@syberia.com - http://www.syberia.com/stan/netcrate/