Re: Dock II question...

On Fri, 19 Jul 1996, Yann Nicolas wrote:

> What exactly comes in a Dock II docking station? I'd like to dock my
> ThinkPad 701 so I can have access to a CD-ROM drive... Now for $600+ for a
> Dock II, what do you get? Do you have to buy the SCSI CD-ROM drive extra?

Yes. Really, the dock is a glorified port replicator. There is room for
two internal devices, meaning a HD and a CD. The CD doesn't have to be
scsi, I imagine, tho I have never tried putting an IDE drive in.

The big advantage of the dock is the SCSI controller. However, if you
don't need to put another drive in, I strongly reccomend the port
replicator. You can get a SCSI PCMCIA card fairly inexpensively and the
$100 or $250 PR and still come out with more money than the dock would
leave you. I might have a different attitude if they at least included
the tray to put the monitor on...