TP 701 -- video-out under Win95?

Hi all.  I've got a 701 problem I can't figure out...  I want to
hook a monitor to my thinkpad, which I do via the multiport adaptor.
When I then boot my TP, I see the self-test info and the RAM test
on both the laptop screen and the monitor, but as soon as win95 starts
booting the monitor goes blank.  Any ideas?

One strange note: when win95 is running, if I go into the 701 config
utility (FN+F1), the monitor then functions properly and I see the
config screen on both the laptop and the monitor.  Then when I exit
the config util, the monitor goes blank.

Thanks in advance,

  - joe