Re: Also just got our 760ED

At 03:38 PM 7/2/96 GMT, you wrote:
>Since I had bemoaned the long time, it's only fair to report that our
>760ED just showed up today.  We got this off an order that had been
>placed April 24, 1996.

I am getting my 760ED Monday.  It was shipped yesterday by PC's Compleat.  I
ordered the predecessor model 760CD in the beginning of February, and
switched to the 760ED within hours of the announcement, after being assured
that I wouldn't lose my waiting priority.  I was told in April and May that
I was "at the very top" of the list; by early June I was instead 66 out of
217 on the list.  By the end of June I was 44 on the list.  So this Tuesday,
July 2, I asked about the Toshiba Tecra 720n and, although I did not
complain, I said I was probably going to cancel my 760ED order because I was
tired of waiting.  They would have shipped the Tecra this week, since they
had an order coming in on the 5th.  However, I was thinking of just staying
indefinitely with my 750C which by now has 20 meg RAM and an 810 meg hard drive.

The next day, July 3, PC's Compleat called (having discussed my call of the
previous day among themselves), to say that there had been some mistake,
that I should have been higher on the list given my February order date,
that they had pulled a 760ED from someone else's order who should have been
below my priority on the waiting list, and they were configuring it that day
and would ship the next day (July 3).

My advice to all of you in this period of waiting for allocations with short
supply, irrespective of where you order from, is to check on your priority
on the wait list from time to time, and try to make sure you are moving up
and not down on the list.

I found PC's Compleat to be courteous and responsive to my calls, and I
would have no hesitation in dealing with them again.  As you know, the short
supply is not a problem attributable to any one dealer.
David R. Keyes