Re: Is there an equal for the 760ED?

On Wed, 26 Jun 1996, Dane Tyson wrote:

> earlier,and I would have had it only 2 weeks after placing my order had it
> not been for a sticky-fingered Fedex employee somewhere in Chicago who is
> now enjoying my Tecra (or the proceeds therefrom).  As it was, Micro

Do you have a followup on this?  Did they find the guy and fire him?
I thought FedEx had the best reputation for domestic delivery service.

> tank.  The comment  that the 720's screen resolution is too high, so that
> text and icons are unreadable,  is nonsense IMHO -- the 720's resolution is
> essentially identical to that of the Thinkpad 755CX (or any other 10" SVGA
> machine, for that matter), with equivalent readability.

These magazine reviews should be reporting dpi instead of subjective
comments like being "too high."  800x600 on a 10.4" screen is 96 dpi,
or about the same as 640x480 on a 8.5" screen (94 dpi).  I don't
recall any complaints about 8.5" screens being unreadable.  Annoying
maybe, but not unreadable.

> At this point, it looks like I'm going to stick with the 720

I hope all you ex-Thinkpad people are telling IBM why you switched
when you call to cancel your order.  It's disgraceful that IBM took
this long to even start to address the availability problem.  I guess
from their point of view, excessive demand is a "good" problem.

> after using your machines for a while, and I would certainly be interested
> in knowing of any Toshiba mailing list, or in participating in a Toshiba
> splinter faction of the Thinkpad list.

If there isn't a list, I don't see why you guys couldn't start one.
The original rationale for this list was the high price of the TP750
and a desire to share info to get the most from our investments.
(Sean Chou, the guy who put together the first list on my suggestion,
now uses a Toshiba Portege 610.  Maybe history can repeat itself? :)
--
John H. Kim       "I stop for red traffic lights" -- bumper sticker
jokim@mit.edu     commissioned by the City of Boston as part of a