Thinkpad 701c battery problem

Dear all,

Yesterday I experienced a problem with the battery
of my TP701c for the second time. The problem is that
although the battery is nearly fully charged, the
battery indicator (Fn-F2) shows it is nearly empty,
and worse, when trying to get out of suspend mode, the
computer just beeps to indicate it is low on battery.
However, when I charge it using the adapter, it is
completely full again after maybe 10 minutes. The
first time this happened, I thought the battery wasn't
connected firmly enough (I took it out and reinstalled it,
after which everything was fine). This time however,
the battery seemed to be in place perfectly. What could
this be, a software problem?

And now something completely different.
I have read a message of someone saying the new bios
(3o) wasn't that good after all, and he would rather
have kept his old bios. I am planning to upgrade my
bios, but is there a way to save the old one first?

Regards, Maurice

ps I have also connected the TP701c to the Dutch
telephone network (it didn't explode ;-) ) and have
used FaxWorks Speakerphone (voice modem) successfully!
Does this mean the modem will work correctly for
faxes and data as well?
--
Maurice klein Gebbinck <mauricek@cs.kun.nl>
University of Nijmegen, Computing Science Institute