Re: Thinkpad 760ED Announced

>Sandy said
>
>"Available immediately?? You mean like the 760CD-120 I ordered last year
>and still haven't seen? Sure, I'll believe it when I see it.  I'm seriously
>thinking of buying Toshiba's new 720CDT instead.  PCI-based, but with
>6x CDROM and 1024x768 screen resolution on a 12.1 TFT screen.  IBM...I'm"
>
>just be sure that you can in fact get the Toshiba quicker.
>Basically whenever you order an out-of-stock machine you can wait
>a long time. There are lots of places with 760CD-120's in stock,
>and you do much better to wait until there is a place with a machine
>in stock, and then order it for immediate delivery.

Also, I think some of the most recent holdups on the 760CD machines (my
reseller stopped receiving even estimated shipping dates from IBM at least
6 weeks ago) may have been due to a deliberate decision by IMB to hoard
critical components (e.g., 12" TFT screens) for the new machines, in order
to significantly shorten the announcement-to-shipping lag versus the 760CD
performance and to avoid a huge excess inventory of 760CD's due to
cancellations of in-process orders -- anyone willing to wait as long as
some have for the 120Mz 760CD with VESA bus will certainly be willing to
wait a little longer (particularly if IBM has taken steps to make sure the
wait isn't too long) for a 133Mz 760ED with PCI bus at only $100 more, and
that will likely spell a lot of 760CD cancellations (unless there's a huge
price cut) in the next few weeks.