Re: PLIP weirdness

On Fri, 19 Apr 1996, Ambrose Li wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Apr 1996, John H. Kim wrote:
> > were reversed.  Set the 750's parallel port to bidirectional,
> > parallel 1.  Use MSD under DOS to determine the address of the
> > parallel port.
>
> Thanks, but how do I set the 750's parallel port to bidirectional,
> and how do I specify the address of the parallel port? (I think plip
> says I am not allowed to change the base address.) Either of both
> sounds like part of my problem...

Turn your computer off.  Hold down the F1 key and turn it on.  When the
BIOS stuff comes up, select setup, then parallel.  Set it to bidirectional,
parallel 1.

The plip drivers for Linux default parallel port 1 to 0x3BC (?) which may
or may not be the case.  Maybe you can't change it - I don't remember
exactly.  grep the HOWTO files for plip.  If you can't change it, you'll
have to make sure your parallel port is set to the default.  Use MSD under
DOS to check this.  I got it working so it *is* possible.

I feel like tech support...
--
John H. Kim          "Just try telling the IRS you don't feel like
jokim@mit.edu        'contributing' this year come April." -- Bob Dole