TP365E review (fwd)

Forwarded message:
 `Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 09:51:11 +0300 (EET DST)
 `From: Antti.Kilpinen@abo.fi (Antti Kilpinen)
 `Subject: TP365E review
 `
 `I've had a chance to work with a TP365E model for a day and a half.
 `Its a 586 100Mhz 10.4"TFT model 8M Ram and 540M HD.

Thanks for the info on the model. Australia recently released this model
and one of them features a CD player (4x I think). I've yet to see one on
any shelf.

 `Based on the specs I was really entusiastic on the 365E model.
 `My initial expressions were quite dissapointing though. It was not an
 `incremetal improvement to the 360 mode as I had expected. The design is not
 `modular, the HD, battery, floppy or memory expansions are not compatible

Are the components removable like the 750/360 models. It seems IBM
released cheaper 3xx models by dispensing with removable components.

 `with the 750/360 series. Further the unit seemed not to be any faster that
 `my 486/33Mhz 360. The slow performace was though due to the slow processor

A writeup in a computer weekly magazine over here mentioned they were
running CYRIX chips and not Intel (can't confirm if they really are).
Maybe that's why they are slower and cheaper!

 `speeed setting that was enabled. Below, I enlist some observations on the
 `365E model. I do not include any specs as they should be avalable from your
 `dealer or from www.

Cheers.
  kevin cheong  macquarie university
  kevinc@mpce.mq.edu.au       sydney