Re: Thinkpad 701Cs Hidden File

At 6:11 PM 4/5/96, Richard Joseph wrote:
>I recently bought a Thinkpad 701CS which came with OS/2 and Windows 3.11.
>I deleted the OS/2 using the "button" in the Windows  OS/2 group. Looking
>at my hard disk I find one large file in the root directory that I can't
>identify and wonder if it's a leftover from OS/2, or what else it's used
>for. It's a hidden, system, read-only file named "ea data. sf" (with
>spaces in the name and extension). It's 10Meg so if I don't need it I
>certainly want to get rid of it, but I've discovered through painful
>experience that not knowing what it is doesn't mean it shouldn't be
>there. There's also a small file named"wp root. sf". Can anyone shed some
>light on what they are?

        They're both OS/2 files and assuming you want to get rid of OS/2,
can be safely deleted.

        Since there are spaces in the name, you may have to use wildcards
when typing in the "delete" command in DOS.  For that matter, you may want
to try using the "deltree" command.

        Its been a long time since my last effort to dump OS/2, but I think
this will get you through.

-----
Randy Whittle           whittle@usc.edu         http://www-scf.usc.edu/~whittle
USC Graduate School of Business

        Women often ask, "What do men really want, deep in their souls?"
The best answer--based on in-depth analysis of the complex and subtle
interplay of thought, instinct, and emotion that constitutes the male
psyche--is that deep in their souls, men want to watch stuff go 'bang'.
- Dave Barry, October 2, 1994