Re: Megahertz XJ2144 cellular ready?

 `Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 11:14:21 -0500
 `From: "Arturo J. Morales" <art@aars.mit.edu>
 `
 `At 08:36 AM 3/20/96 PST, you wrote:
 `>
 `>We have several dozen of these modems in our Thinkpads.  I had never seen
 `>any reference to being cellular-ready.  They only connector they have is an
 `>X-Jack, no cabling is supplied to connect to a Cellphone.  By contrast, I do
 `>have a Megahertz Ethernet-Modem combo that is cellular ready, and it came
 `>will the 'tail' to connect to my phone.  In the case of this modem, I can
 `>hook up to a Motorola Flip-phone.  Perhaps you are thinking of a different
 `>model of modem?
 `>
 `>RK
 `Actually, when I bought mine, I remember reading that they supported MNP10 which
 `is a cellular protocol (Supposedly) so that is the only reason that they are
 `called "cellular ready".  If your cellular has a phonejack (some do) then
 `you can use the XJ2144 to talk through it...
 `
 `Kinda misleading, I would say... But then again, it is a pretty good modem
 `
 `Art
 `

Yes, MNP10 protocol is for cellular phones. I think this protocol has
been surpassed by others, eg. modems from Apex (I forgot the protocol name).
It is very misleading.

OK has anyone hooked up an Apex on a TP with a cellular? What kind of
digital cellulars does it support?

Cheers
  kevin cheong  macquarie university
  kevinc@mpce.mq.edu.au       sydney