Re: pcmcia dial tone passthrough

At 01:16 PM 3/17/96 +0900, you wrote:

>Or, as someone mentioned, it was a pulse-only line. I have such a line (for
>$50/year for tone, I'll stay pulse for the low amount of dialout that I
>do), and until I reconfigure new software from ATDT to ATDP, I get the same
>hear-the-tones-but-never-get-past-the-dialtone problem mentioned in the
>original note.

I believe that the person having difficulties told us that he was able to
dial out on the same line with a different modem, using tone dial DSS.  This
would rule out the possibility of pulse only service.  However, it would be
interesting to put the modem in pulse mode and dial out that way, just for
giggles and information.

-Michael

PS: A couple of years ago, the federal government in the US decided that the
phone companies were being unreasonable in demanding supplemantary fees for
tone service, which is now a defacto standard.  I don't pay such a surcharge
anymore.  You might want to look into this for yourself.

---
Michael Klenner                          East: klennerm@is.nyu.edu
New York University                      West: mklenner@pacificnet.net
Tisch School of the Arts                 http://pages.nyu.edu/~mdk1143