Re: Looking to buy...

ricky kurzman <rkurzman@world.std.com> wrote:
|> it Win95 ready? These are basic questions, but...  I don't need it until
|> July, so I could wait a while, but... Will prices come down a lot by
|> then?  thanks for input, ricky

It's four months until July -- an eternity in laptop chronology. If you
really don't need it until then, perhaps best to wait to see what develops.
I heard yesterday that IBM is coming out with some Cyrix 586 machines that
could be as low as $1500 -- the high end of that line might end up being
nice. Who knows? Time will tell.

Note that a faster chip doesn't necessarily mean that much of a faster
machine -- it's highly dependent upon other factors, such as off-chip
cache, bus speed, political winds in Iceland, motherboard timing, work
load, phase of Saturn's 3rd moon WRT Uranus, and a partridge in a pair
tree.  My brother just upgraded from a x66 486 to a 133 Pentium (with new
motherboard) and while "faster", it's not what he was hoping. And to add to
the confusion, a large database repeatedly loads slower (16 sec vs. 21 sec).
Maybe some disk parameter needs changed. Who knows? Time might not tell.

	Jeffrey
Jeffrey Friedl <jfriedl@omron.co.jp> Omron Corp, Nagaokakyo, Kyoto 617 Japan
See my Jap<->Eng dictionary at http://www.wg.omron.co.jp/cgi-bin/j-e
                           and http://enterprise.ic.gc.ca/cgi-bin/j-e