Re: Thinkpad memory compatability

On Fri, 23 Feb 1996, King, Randall wrote:

> I've done the following moves:
>      700 -> 720, 750, 360
>      720 -> 700, 750
>      750 -> 360, 755
>      360 -> 750, 755

I think the consensus last time this topic came up was that memory will
be backwards compatible, but not necessarily forward compatible.  i.e.

755 memory will work in a 750, 720, and 700.
750 memory will work in a 720 and 700.
720 memory is the same as 700 memory.

750 memory _might_ work in a 755.
720 memory _might_ work in a 750.  If so, it might work in a 755.

I don't know how the 360 series works into this.  I think 360 memory is
non-parity (won't work in the 750, which needs parity), but can use parity
memory - it just won't use the parity feature.
--
John H. Kim         "A citizen of America will cross the ocean to fight
jokim@mit.edu       for democracy, but won't cross the street to vote in