Hi color 800X600 on 755CD/CE

I am setting up my 755CD for Win 95. I looked over the FAQ (too out of
date), though I assume this has been discussed before.

Are there Win 95 drivers to allow external 800X600 displays in hi-color
(16bit) mode for the 755CD (and CE)? Where can I get them?

I actually got the hi-color to work at 800X600 by using the 755CX Win95
driver, so the hardware is in some ways capable. BUT it looked like it was
in interlace or 43Hz mode AND whenever I tried to use any other IBM graphics
setup (for enhanced graphics), the screen went bonkers (looked like viewing
through a fish tank and at wrong resolution). The WD90C24 Win 3.11 drivers
for the 755CE and CD do seem to support the 800X600 high color mode, but
they are not Win 95 compliant.

Also, I had trouble getting the external SVGA to even find the
high-resolution modes when first starting Win95. I had some help to get it
set up, but it is a hassle. You set CRT mode in the IBM Display options,
shutdown Win95 and the computer, hold F1 when powering up to get the Easy
Setup options, hit Config, hit Initialize, exit, restart Win95, "remove" the
Western Digital display adapter, and then reinstall it. After restarting,
you get the other resolutions (at least 800 X 600 @ 256, and 1024 X 768 @
256). Again, a definite hassle.

Thanks for any help. I have other questions about why the 755CD is so flakey
with Suspend and Hibernate and why the Glidepoint pad clicking doesn't
work...but I'll ask those later (soon).

Michael Redmond
Director, Computer-Aided Engineering Center
University of Wisconsin, Madison
(608) 263-1584
Email: redmond@engr.wisc.edu
WWW: http://www.engr.wisc.edu/services/cae/staff/redmond.html