Re: Mwave2.00 and Win95 overcommited

On Fri, 15 Dec 1995, Chris Osborn <fozztexx@marauder.nvc.cc.ca.us> wrote:
>I haven't been able to use the MWave modem *at all* under Win95 since I upgraded to
>the 1.40 BIOS. Anytime something opens COM2 to talk to it, it hangs the computer,
>and the only way out is to push the reset button on the back.

Upgrading to the 1.40 BIOS resulted in a similar problem for me.  Although the
system doesn't hang, any time I try to use the Mwave modem under Win95 with the
1.40 BIOS, Win95 believes that the modem is in use by another application.  I
have tried re-installing Mwave 2.0 for Windows, but no joy.

Everything was fine before I installed BIOS 1.40.  Immediately after installing
BIOS 1.40, I couldn't use Mwave 2.0 any more.  I'm using a 755CX with 810MB disk
and 40MB memory, Windows 95 and plus pack installed in a virgin directory (not
on top of my old Win 3.1 installation).  I'd call IBM for support, but they are
now charging $30 for every call if you use Windows 95!

I don't think any IBM folks lurk on this list, but if anyone has a tech or
marketing relationship at IBM I'd be delighted if you'd pass this message along.
I wouldn't mind if you'd join me in market-pressing IBM into supporting Windows
95 like like Dell, Gateway, and other competitors do.  It has been almost four
months since Win 95 stopped being pre-release software, after all.

Be seeing you...
--Lang

ITC Consulting Group           integrated communication consulting services
915 Cole Street #151           internet publishing * training * design
San Francisco, CA 94117        +1 415 861 7688           itc@apocalypse.org