Re: WTB: ThinkPad 755ce or cx

At 2:39 PM 11/27/95, kevin king wrote:
>> >Are ThinkPad hard drives hot-swappable?
>
>>         I'm 99% certain there is no way you can do this.  You'd have to
>> shut down the system, insert the new drive, and boot off of the new drive.
>
>Does this mean that you CAN swap drives if you boot off of a floppy?
>Just curious.
>
>kevin

        Good point.

        But as Don Whiteside pointed out, these are just standard IDE
drives and by definition can't be hot-swapped.

        However, if you booted off a floppy and had a SyQuest drive that
was your otherwise primary drive, yes, you could easily swap out a SyQuest
cartridge for another one--as long as you didn't boot off the SyQuest.

        But then, a removable like a SyQuest is designed to do that.  IDE isn't.

        Though I know SyQuest has IDE versions.  I don't know if you can do
it with those--I'm only familiar with SCSI.

Randy Whittle    whittle@usc.edu               |       WWW Home Page:     |
USC Graduate School of Business (Fight on 'SC!)|          http://         |
 "Did you really think you could call up the   | www-scf.usc.edu/~whittle/|
     Devil and ask him to behave?"             ----------------------------
       -Fox Mulder on T.V.'s "X-Files" speaking to an occult practitioner