Re: thinkpad backup solutions

>wondering if anyone can suggest a good backup solution for a
>thinkpad.

I have tried two approaches:

1) I bought an ethernet card and backed up to my office UNIX box.  The
big problem was getting a good TCP/IP and NFS package for DOS/Windows.
I never did find a satisfactory&cheap one (I tried shareware and IBM's
package).

The main drawback was that the backup was surprisingly slow, it took
about an hour to xcopy my 170MB c: drive to the NFS-mounted drive on
the UNIX box.  I think it was mostly slowed down by the crappy TCP/IP
software running under DOS.  I probably should have bought some better
software.

Total cost: $130 for 3Com PCMCIA Ethernet board.  I got the TCP/IP
software for free (you can pay up to $400).  Also, you need access to
ample UNIX disk space and a friendly sysadmin.

2) I recently bought the IOmega 800MB Ditto external tape drive.  It
plugs into my parallel part.  It works pretty fast, it takes about 30
minutes to back up my 170MB. It supports Win 3.1, Win 95, and
OS/2. It's pretty portable too, it's a little bigger than my Panasonic
CD-ROM drive.

Cost: $150, plus cost of tapes ($30 for Travan 800MB tape, or $10 for
340MB 2120XL tape).

I am very happy with the IOmega drive, how can you go wrong for $150?

--andy